Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sassy Does Dog Doors

Sassy here, I am so excited, I just found freedom. Last night there was a raccoon in a tree in the next yard over, Bella and Mogley were in and out all night long, barking and guarding our yard against raccoon intrusions. In my excitement I found out that I can go through the dog door as well. Now I can come and go as I please. The dog door is more complicated than it sounds. First we have to run to the hallway, then through a door into the garage, then across the garage, out a second dog door into a corner of the back yard, then around the house to the big yard. So it takes a while to get the hang of it.

The good news is that I now have total freedom. If I want out, I can go out. If I want in, I can go in. The bad news is that now when I stand on the back steps and demand to be let in, they ignore me. Now they expect me to come in on my own. I have lost that "Queen" factor that I have used so effectively.

When they got up this morning to put me outside, I was already out. If I had made it back in in time, they might never have noticed and I might still get door service. I guess they are right, freedom does have a price.

Sassy G. Retriever

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I wish for the day of a dog door where I can go and come as I please. I hope when you find a forever home they too have a doggie door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sassy, never let humans know you can do something yourself if you want them to do it for you. The more helpless you appear, the more service you receive. We're sorry you had to learn this the hard way.

    But on the other hand, you do have freedom to come and go as you please now. We don't have that, so we envy you. ** sigh **

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sassy,
    Good on ya girl! It might reduce the service somewhat but it does provide you a degree of independence that you wouldn't have otherwise. This is just another skill to put in your bag of tricks.
    -TBH

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be great to be able to run out anytime and bark at coons. It's much better to be free and have choices! Humans aren't always all that reliable. bol

    love & wags,
    River

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, we just finished teaching my sister's two new bassets (one foster) how to use the doggie door and now they LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete