Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Philosopher Dog, Part 5

The Bumpass Hounds will say this should be titled "Part 6", they think I skipped one chapter in the Dog Philosopher. Or maybe "Part 5 1/2".

We are having a lot of fun together. Abby and Sandy are even joining in the chasing and mouth wrestling. Mealtime is a lot more exciting with seven bowls in seven places and seven hungry dogs trying to see what everyone else is getting fed. You never know when one of us gets better food and how will we know if we don't check? The chauffeur/cook thinks we should all sit down in our place to wait for our bowl, but that takes all the fun out of it.

With seven dogs in the house, the resident chauffeur/cook spends a lot of time with his tools cleaning up the yard.

This raises an important philosophical question. Why are humans so obsessed with dog poop? All of my friends at the dog park ask the same question. We watch people pick up dog poop, put it into special plastic bags they carry with them. When we run in the park we always see people walking along with plastic bags full of poop in their hands. They even point out dog poop to other people to pick up. If one person misses a dog poop, another person will make sure they get it. At the big dog park, they even schedule a "clean up day" for everyone to come and pick up dog poop just in case they are running short on their home supply. Humans buy special tools to use to pick up poop, they buy special plastic bags to carry it in, they exchange tips on how best to collect dog poop.

Is it a fixation, a hobby gone berserk or just a character flaw in humans? Are humans potty trained at too young of an age? Is this behaviour normal? I think not! You don't see dogs carrying their own poop around in plastic bags. You don't see dogs obsessing with a little dog poop on the lawn. We need to show the humans the part about how fertilizer helps the grass grow. We need to show humans how to relax and enjoy just walking for the sake of walking.

Mogley G. Retriever

7 comments:

  1. BOL. My mom is always falling me around with this claw thing. It is just very amusing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was Part VI, or Part 6 depending or whether or not you're from italy. Human don't realy save our poop. They just really hate the thought of steppin g in it. Their sniffers aren't as good as ours so they are not as good at avoiding it as us. The usually can only smell it after they've stepped in in or tracked it into the house or car. that's why they're obsessed with picking it up. Our dad says it easiest to do poop patrol after a night freeze. Unfortunately, we won't be having them anymore this season (we think).
    - TBH
    OBTW - We caught you "inadvertent" error. Just cause we can count better than you, you intentionally mispelled our name. We are not the "Pumpass" Hounds. We are the Bumpass Hounds. We don't live in Pumpass, VA., we don't even think that there is such a place. We live in beutiful metropolitan Bumpass, VA. The "P" lettr isn't anywhere near the "B" letter on the keyboard. The "P" is 2 row higher up and 4 letters further over to the right. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6. Not 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Mogley - I've wondered this too! I figure they get to keep it if they want it so badly - I have this problem tho - I've heard it referred to as cophraphagia - so Mom and Dad race me to the latest, cause I kind of like it, see? As for other doggies' poop, well, I can understand it either.
    For now, farewell!
    Licks,
    Sammie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Mogley - I've wondered this too! I figure they get to keep it if they want it so badly - I have this problem tho - I've heard it referred to as cophraphagia - so Mom and Dad race me to the latest, cause I kind of like it, see? As for other doggies' poop, well, I can understand it either.
    For now, farewell!
    Licks,
    Sammie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you seem like great dogs and I would love it if we could follow each other,what do you think Love Travis xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey you seem like great dogs and I would love it if we could follow each other,what do you think Love Travis xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mogley,
    I believe in the bumped elbow way of feeding. While your human is dishing the kibble, pretend to accidentally bump his elbow and the kibble will go flying. Kibble now all over floor, no bowls needed, instant gratification. And after you all are done... clean kitchen floors. Multi-tasking. My human always talks about multi-tasking. I try to do my part. :-)
    Your buddy,
    Shilo

    ReplyDelete